Saturday, October 30, 2010

Podcasting

When I first received my iPod, I wasn't quite sure what a podcast was. However, I found a fun podcast by a married couple about my favorite TV show at the time, Gilmore Girls. I've learned a few things about podcasts from this lesson. For one, you don't have to have an iPod to listen to a podcast. Another, anyone can create a podcast. Also, I've learned that I can always have a podcast ready for my students if I, for some reason or another, happen to have to miss a class. Podcasts are an excellent way to preserve class time.

Podcasting is similar to other Web 2.0 applications in that everyone can view them. Not only your students or fellow teachers will be able to get some good out of them. However, podcasting is different form other Web 2.0 applications in that podcasts are audible, not visible.

I do own an iPod...but I don't think I would use this in my own classroom. To me, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Students are bound to not listen to them when they need to, and they will use the podcasts as an excuse to tell their parents or constituents that there "was no assignment for today."

No comments:

Post a Comment